Election Information

City elections are held on even numbered years and held the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. There is not a Primary held for City offices. Polling place hours for voting are 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. The City Clerk is responsible for conducting the local, state and federal elections held within the city limits of Vesta. The elected officials for the City of Vesta are as follows with office terms of four years:

Mayor (Salary of $1,625/Year/$40 per special meeting)
4 Council Members ($85 per regular meeting/$40 per special meeting)

Individuals who are eligible and desire to become a candidate must file an Affidavit of Candidacy during the filing period as set by the State of Minnesota during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday) at the City Office located at 150 Front Street West. The filing fee is $2.00

Absentee Voting

You may find that you are unable to get to your polling place location on Election Day but still want to vote in an election. In Minnesota, citizens are allowed to vote absentee for the following most common reasons:

  • Absence from your precinct
  • Illness or disability
  • Service as an election judge in another precinct
  • Religious discipline or religious holiday or observance

In-person Absentee Voting

You may cast a ballot in person at the Redwood County Auditor-Treasurer’s Office located at the County Government Center located on the corner of Mill and 4th Streets in Redwood Falls. Contact the Redwood County Auditor-Treasurer for more information at (507) 637-4013.

Voting Absentee by Mail

You may have an absentee ballot sent to you by completing an Minnesota Absentee Ballot Application and send it to Redwood County Auditor-Treasurer via mail, fax or e-mail. Your ballot will be sent to you, when they are ready.See http://www.co.redwood.mn.us/auditor.htm for contact information.

If your ballot is mailed back, it must be received on Election Day by 3 p.m. at the Auditor-Treasurer’s Office or it will not be counted. If delivered in person, it must be delivered to the County Auditor-Treasurer’s Office no later than 5 p.m. the day of election. If someone else returns your completed ballot, sealed in the appropriate envelope, they must return your absentee ballot to the County Auditor-Treasurer’s Office by 3 p.m. on Election Day in order to be counted.

More specific information can be found at the Secretary of State’s Office website at http://www.sos.state.mn.us

Qualifications For Filing For A Council Position

  • Is an eligible voter within the City of Vesta.
  • Has no other affidavit on file as a candidate for any office at the same election.
  • Is, or will be upon assuming office, 21 years of age or more, and will have maintained residence within the city limits of Vesta for 30 days before the election.
  • May not be a full-time, permanent employee of the City.

Further Questions

For election information not found on this website, call City Hall at (507) 762-3140.

Election Day Registration


Voter Registration

If you are not registered to vote or need to update your registration information, you may do so at the polling on Election Day. You will be required to provide proof of residency, when registering on Election Day. You can check the Secretary of State’s website to see if you are registered at your current address at https://mnvotes.sos.state.mn.us/voterstatus.aspx.
Registrations (new or change in address or name) can take place prior to Election Day by completing a registration card and mailing it to the Redwood County Auditor-Treasurer at PO Box 130, Redwood Falls, MN 56283 or leaving it off at their office in the County Government Center in Redwood Falls.
Registration forms are available at the Secretary of State’s website (http://www.sos.state.mn.us).


To register on Election Day, you must have one of the following with your current name and address in the precinct to verify your residency:

  • A valid Minnesota driver’s license, learner’s permit, Minnesota ID card, or receipt for any of these.
  • A valid student ID card including your photo, if your college has provided a student housing list to election officials.
  • A Tribal ID card that contains your picture and signature.
  • A valid registration in the same ward under a different name or address.
  • A notice of late registration sent to you by your county auditor.
  • A voter registered in the same ward as you who can confirm your address and sign an oath.

You may also provide both a photo ID from the list below and a current bill with your current name and address in the ward in which you should vote. Photo ID’s (may be expired)

  • Minnesota Driver’s License
  • Minnesota ID Card
  • United States Passport
  • United States Military ID Card
  • Tribal ID Card
  • Minnesota University, College or Technical

Bills (Mail or Electronic)

Utility Bill due within 30 days of election day:

  • Telephone (landline, cell, VOIP, etc.)
  • TV (cable, satellite, etc.)
  • Internet Services
  • Electric
  • Gas
  • Solid Waste
  • Sewer Services
  • Water
  • Rent statement dated within 30 days of election day that itemizes utilities
  • Current student fee statement